9 Jan 2018: "Saint Francis and the Sow" by Galway Kinnell

Background: St. Francis of Assisi is considered the patron saint of animals and the environment. He had an interesting life, and is best know for helping the poor, sick, and animals. Little Flowers of St. Francis is a book about Francis of Assisi and his companions.


"Saint Francis and the Sow" by Galway Kinnell

The bud
stands for all things,
even for those things that don’t flower,
for everything flowers, from within, of self-blessing;   
though sometimes it is necessary
to reteach a thing its loveliness,
to put a hand on its brow
of the flower
and retell it in words and in touch
it is lovely
until it flowers again from within, of self-blessing;   
as Saint Francis
put his hand on the creased forehead
of the sow, and told her in words and in touch   
blessings of earth on the sow, and the sow   
began remembering all down her thick length,   
from the earthen snout all the way
through the fodder and slops to the spiritual curl of the tail,   
from the hard spininess spiked out from the spine   
down through the great broken heart
to the sheer blue milken dreaminess spurting and shuddering   
from the fourteen teats into the fourteen mouths sucking and blowing beneath them:
the long, perfect loveliness of sow.

7 comments:

  1. "for everything flowers, from within, of self-blessing;"

    I don't believe that. And the rest of the poem doesn't convince me either. Is Saint Francis performing a miracle here?

    After googling and skimming a few sources here is what I found:

    "He was canonized as a saint on July 16, 1228. During his life he also developed a deep love of nature and animals and is known as the patron saint of the environment and animals." Resource

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The background info on St. Francis definitely helps me appreciate the poem more.

      I read that he considered all aninals equal to humans and needing salvation. I couldn't find anything in Little Flowers, but it's cool to read someone almost a thousand years ago caring about animal rights.

      I'd like to learn more about St. Francis.

      Delete
  2. Allie Jo DreadfulwaterJanuary 11, 2019 at 1:09 AM

    Lovely!!! The concept of the bud derives from Eastern philosophy...seeing the whole world in one drop of the ocean as similar as one drop belongs to the whole ocean. The concept of a seed birthing the whole world and the whole world developing the seed....a more beautiful version of chicken and egg, but deeper! The "Golden Egg" is a macrocosm within a microcosm- a reflective reality, the ultimate fractal pattern (remember when I was obsessed with fractals? If you want a fun google experience look up Nature fractals, my favorite).

    Thank you for posting the history of St. Francis- I know I have some type of history or connection with him or something, maybe in a class, but it has not come to me yet. I love the history and the poem because it really lets us peer inside the connection to these incredible things- the closer we draw near to Nature, the closer it draws to us. A total John Muir. I actually wear this wooden bracelet every day that I got from the redwoods with his popular quote on it "In every walk with Nature one received far more than he seeks".

    My favorite line is "sometimes it is necessary
    to reteach a thing its loveliness". I feel like there are so many references here to things so great in just a few short lines. This reminding me now of the Buddhist concept "we do not ask the rose why it is lovely" (or is this Rumi again?!). Or even your rose that grew from concrete- we don't ask why it has scratches we marvel that it grew from concrete.

    I agree! More St. Francis.

    Philosophy 101- "do animals have souls"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a vegan I find this poem very comforting. It shows a certain respect for an animal that most have absolutely none at all for. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to poetry club!

      I've been mostly vegan for close to a decade now, I'm not vegan, but the reason I don't eat animals is because of animal rights. So it's very cool to see someone like this even before human rights was an issue.

      Delete
    2. I don’t believe we have fallen on the subject of animal rights too often yet!? How did I not know you were vegan-ish? Requesting Thought blog addition at some point +

      Delete
    3. I call myself mostly vegan. I'll do a rant about it. Maybe give me a reminder if I don't in the next few days

      Delete