8 Jan 2018: "Ye White Antarctic Birds" by Lisa Jarnot

Ye white antarctic birds of upper 57th street,
you gallery of white antarctic birds, you street
with white antarctic birds and cabs and white
antarctic birds you street, ye and you the
street and birds I walk upon the galleries of
streets and birds and longings, you the birds
antarctic of the conversations and the bank
machines, you the atm of longing, the longing
for the atm machines, you the lover of the
banks and me and birds and others too and
cabs, and you the cabs and you the subtle
longing birds and me, and you the
conversations yet antarctic, and soup and
teeming white antarctic birds and you the
books and phones and atms the bank
machines antarctic, and you the banks and
cabs, and him the one I love, and those who
love me not, and all antarctic longings, and all
the birds and cabs and also on the street
antarctic of this longing.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, how do we make sense of this? I'm going to come back later and reread it.

    I'd love some other thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first impression brought the imbalance of nature and man. If we take a look around we see how odd our society really is- built right on top of Nature herself. I wonder if this poet is trying to relay her want for a more connected Nature and every time she sees these white birds they remind her. There are a lot of species of birds here in Hawaii that wait right in the middle of the road as if they have no awareness of the dangers of humans at all....I think similar thoughts with them- "get out of the road"! while at the same time "this road shouldn't even be here at all...".

    When she changes pace of the poem near the end its confusing. But maybe its just another example of the metaphor of her life spinning around her while the birds just stay birds.

    ReplyDelete