10 Nov: "Every Time I Climb a Tree" by David McCord

Every time I climb a tree
Every time I climb a tree
Every time I climb a tree
I scrape a leg
Or skin a knee
And every time I climb a tree
I find some ants
Or dodge a bee
And get the ants
All over me.
And every time I climb a tree
Where have you been?
They say to me
But don’t they know that I am free
Every time I climb a tree?
I like it best
To spot a nest
That has an egg
Or maybe three.
And then I skin
The other leg
But every time I climb a tree
I see a lot of things to see
Swallows rooftops and TV
And all the fields and farms there be
Every time I climb a tree
Though climbing may be good for ants
It isn’t awfully good for pants
But still it’s pretty good for me
Every time I climb a tree.

8 comments:

  1. I adore this...the idea that the balance of life is suffering and happiness. In order to climb, we must push through the known fact of pain. But, because "I am free" and I am able to find the wonder of the ants and birds, even though they could bite, they are wonderful! And trees are wonderful, too! And I can lived with the scrapes if they will live with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great poem for kids, and adults.

    The tree is such a cool experience. Climbing offers a sense of achieve and exploration. I love climbing trees. I'd love to build and live in a tree. I never connected the idea to freedom because the tree also has so many limits. But the freedom to climb and suffer the consequences that accompany the joys. Also there is something about being on top or above things that gives us a good feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. I always laughed at your rating of The Giving Tree on Goodreads! Was is a 2 or 3 star? I loved the cyclical nature of that story. It reminds me of what my outdoor yoga teacher says..."breath out to the trees and in from the trees"...

    ReplyDelete
  4. We just read The Giving Tree in class and did mini group presentations. Teaching it has brought out the complexity of the story. Reading it as an adult, I disliked the message I thought it taught children. But after reading it multiple times with younger minds. Everyone has their own take on it, but no ones accepted the message I assumed. I'll re-rate it! Haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. really good poem. probably as good as roald dahls

    ReplyDelete
  6. Which figure of speech is used in this poem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this poem is intended to be taken literally. So I would not consider any of the phases to be figures of speech

      Delete
    2. Agreed. It tells a story! And does not seem to reference outside expressions or other figures of speech.

      Delete