5 Aug: "The Sorting Hat Song" by J.K. Rowling

The Sorting Hat SongOh, you may not think I'm pretty,But don't judge on what you see,
I'll eat myself if you can find
A smarter hat then me.
You can keep your bowlers black,
Your top hats sleek and tall,
For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat
And I can cap them all.
There's nothing hidden in your head
The Sorting Hat can't see,
So try me on and I will tell you
Where you ought to be.
You might belong in Gryffindor,
Where dwell the brave at heart,
Their daring, nerve and chivalry,
Set Gryffindors apart;
You might belong in Hufflepuff
Where they are just and loyal,
Those patient Hufflepuffs are true,
And unafraid of toil;
Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,
If you've a ready mind,
Where those of wit and learning,
Will always find their kind;
Or perhaps in Slytherin,
Where you'll meet your real friends,
Those cunning folk use any means,
To achieve their ends.
So put me on! Don't be afraid!
And don't get in a flap!
You're in safe hands (though I have none)
For a Thinking Cap.


-J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

1 comment:

  1. A sorter of minds, of lives, of the truest nature that we are...the descriptions of each of the houses attract who we are. Harry learned that it is our actions that determine the nature of our lives, not the raw talent alone.

    From Native American totems to the Divergent factions, and the Giver's assignments of trade, this concept is one of my favorite fascinations of coming-of-age...I feel as you are the master relater (word?)on this topic- jack-of-all-trades, master of none or just some. I often wished that I, too, would be given the direction of sorting life talent...for the confidence of an outside source being able to see True Nature and then having our lives destined for the good of it all...to feel at home in an occupation...whew, that would sure make the days a bit more fulfilled in the sense of confidence through the people you are helping. So often the help I extend seems lost in translation. I get glimpses, slivers of hope that I am using my abilities to the best of my abilities, but then what exactly are those? What exactly is it that I am offering..? I have never felt a clear line of sight or direction within contributions to society...I feel as though I fit in to so many categories, have many small talents, or can at least figure out how to be efficient at any occupation if need be...but the one over-reaching "gift"???...Sorting Hat, help me!!! Name me! Give me all the answers!

    ReplyDelete