18 Aug: "Echo" by Christina Rossetti

Echo

Come to me in the silence of the night;
   Come in the speaking silence of a dream;
Come with soft rounded cheeks and eyes as bright
   As sunlight on a stream;
      Come back in tears,
O memory, hope, love of finished years.

Oh dream how sweet, too sweet, too bitter sweet,
   Whose wakening should have been in Paradise,
Where souls brimfull of love abide and meet;
   Where thirsting longing eyes
      Watch the slow door
That opening, letting in, lets out no more.

Yet come to me in dreams, that I may live
   My very life again tho’ cold in death:
Come back to me in dreams, that I may give
   Pulse for pulse, breath for breath:
      Speak low, lean low,
As long ago, my love, how long ago.
 

1 comment:

  1. It seems she describes a child with "soft rounded cheeks and eyes as bright as sunlight"...a lost child...whose years were unfinished, death came too early. A child who she remembers and sees in dreams only...whose life she would give her own for "pulse for pulse, love for love". My dad always said this idea was one of his favorite biblical stories...where God asked _____? to give up his child in the ultimate test of faith and ______ did. Because he carried the exact faith that God requested him to have God spared the child in the end...
    I wonder how you feel about this concept as a new father?

    ReplyDelete