5 Oct: "Acting"

Acting by Suzanne Cleary
I most remember the class where we lie
on our backs, on the cold floor, eyes closed, listening
to a story set in tall grasses, a land of flash floods.
Ten babies slept in a wagon as a stream risen from nothing
trampled like white horses towards them.
We heard the horses, pulling their terrible silence.
Then he asked us to open our eyes. Our teacher
took from his pocket an orange square, dropped it:
this had wrapped one of the babies.
This was found after the water receded.
I remember the woman with red hair
kneeling before the scarf, afraid to touch it,
our teacher telling her she could stop
by saying OK, Good.
I remember the boy named Michael, who
once told me he loved me. Michael
approached with tiny steps, heel to toe,
as if he were measuring land,
and, all at once, he fell
on the scarf. It could have been funny,
loud, clumsy. Another context, another moment,
it would have been ridiculous.
Head down, he held the scarf to his eyes.
My turn, I didn’t move. I stared
at the orange scarf, but not as long
as I’d have liked to, for this was a class
and there were others in line for their grief.
I touched it, lightly, with one hand,
folded it into a square, a smaller square, smaller.
What is lived in a life?
Our teacher making up that story
as he watched us lie on the dusty floor,
our rising, one by one,
to play with loss, to practice,
what is lived, to live? What was that desire
to move through ourselves to the orange
cotton, agreed upon, passed
from one to another?
Poem 006, Poetry 180

2 comments:

  1. I just read something referencing a link between reading and empathy. This is what we do when we read. We play with loss, success, adventure, love, and all the human experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked reading your comment on a "link between reading and empathy". I think about this most as I see patterns in the books that I end up reading over the course of the year. One minute I will be all about training, and the next wanting to only share the joy of reading with others- reading the same stories as they do as if it brings me closer to them knowing the same thoughts and words that I am reading have also entered their brain. Then there is the travel bug and the romance and fiction and then classics in guilt of never reading them before...who made up this guilt for me I wonder?! Then poetry, always back to poetry, and yoga and meditation when thoughts run deeper than I can explain.
    This poem really does do all of it. Maybe our life is just one big story, too...

    ReplyDelete