18 Oct: "Love That Boy" by Walter Dean Myers

 
Love that boy,
like a rabbit loves to run
I said I love that boy
like a rabbit loves to run
Love to call him in the morning
love to call him
'Hey there, son!'

He walk like his Grandpa,
Grins like his Uncle Ben.
I said he walk like his Grandpa,
And grins like his Uncle Ben.
Grins when he's happy,
When he sad, he grins again.

His mama like to hold him,
Like to feed him cherry pie.
I said his mama like to hold him.
Like to feed him that cherry pie.
She can have him now,
I'll get him by and by

He got long roads to walk down
Before the setting sun.
I said he got a long, long road to walk down
Before the setting sun.
He'll be a long stride walker,
And a good man before he done.


2 comments:

  1. This sounds a lot more like a song than a poem...the repetition....reiteration. Such simple concepts- I don't see the need for reiteration and I guess that is why it turns it into a song with a chorus and a repeat. I suppose I haven't thought much on this aspect of poetry...usually there is a thought with an origin and a possibly conceptual answer...or sometimes there is a story with a beginning, middle and end, but not too often, other in rhymes is there a whole lot of blatant repeating. Maybe I just don't like the ones that do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think of a chant. In Africa people have this way of chanting, it's so cool. The over lapping and cadence, I wish I could do it. I'd hear people riding in the backs of trucks and it always made me feel good.

    I could see this as a chant. Maybe passed down from the slave trade in Africa. On singer and the group reaping

    ReplyDelete