11 Feb: "Dothead" by Amit Majmudar

Well yes, I said, my mother wears a dot.
I know they said "third eye" in class, but it's not
an eye eye, not like that. It's not some freak
third eye that opens on your forehead like
on some [radiation]1 baby. What it means
is, what it's showing is, there's this unseen
eye, on the inside. And she's marking it.
It's how the X that says where treasure's at
is not the treasure, but as good as treasure.—
All right. What I said wasn't half so measured.
In fact, I didn't say a thing. Their laughter
had made my mouth go dry. Lunch was after
World History; that week was India—myths,
caste system, suttee, all the Greatest Hits.
The white kids I was sitting with were friends,
at least as I defined a friend back then.
So wait, said Nick, does your mom wear a dot?
I nodded, and I caught a smirk on Todd—
She wear it to the shower? And to bed?—
whie Jesse sucked his chocolate milk and Brad
was getting ready for another stab.
I said, Hand me that ketchup packet there.
And Nick said, What? I snatched it, twitched the tear,
and squeezed a dollop on my thumb and worked
circles till the red planet entered the house of war
and on my forehead for the world to see
my third eye burned those schoolboys in their seats,
their flesh in little puddles underneath,
pale pools where Nataraja cooled his feet.



1- I switched the word in ordered to be less offensive. I do not think the meaning of the poem is affected, and I hope the original reader will find this revision appropriate.

5 comments:

  1. I love this poem. So much energy flowing back and forth...

    I looked up "Nataranja" and it is a representation of the Dance of Shiva- we have just been learning about this story as the story of two depictions of yogic life: his left hand symbolizing the way of Patanjali's yoga or a way of life that is understood by overcoming the obstacles of the mind to eventually merge with the first consciousness of life (Shiva). The right hand is extended out which views life in the Tantric philosophy or believing that each and every moment is of divine nature if we only really truly merge with IT and experience the divine daily...

    This poem shows the differences in Indian and American youth- the culture that has already been taught and learned at such a young age in the Indian youth, and the beliefs he has been taught overcoming the peer pressures in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's people. I feel like I need to research Nataraja a little. But it's cool him Nataraja has the narrator's back.

    How old are these students? Old enough to know better? At what age is it not cool to make fun of your friends about race, religion, and culture?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find it ironic that you published a poem about ethnic prejudice, and yet did not consider how calling survivors of Chernobyl disaster might feel about being called freaks (having freak organs). As someone who lived in Ukraine during Chernobyl explosion and subsequent radioactive fallout, I want to assure you that Ukrainian people are not freaks or mutants with extra eyes, like Mr Majmudar lead you to believe, and like other ethnic groups maybe we deserve a bit more respect than what you showed in the poem. I suggest you retract this highly offensive publication from your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you're offended. What if I replaced Chernobyl with a different word?

      I agree it is a bit ironic now that you mention it. But the narrator and characters are young, and maybe the irony is intended. I don't think the Chernobyl "freak" reference implies anything about Ukrainian people. It is a comment about the effects of radiation. The "dot" is different, as the poem describes.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your post. You've made me consider a deeper meaning to what it is to be a "poem". So much of the written language can be taken right from its literal meaning and implication of story. But, I think, in the case of this poem as well as so many others, there is an energetic and a story behind the story...a texture and resonance with the poem itself an emotion- just like the one that it evoked within you. Your post made me think back to other poems that have evoked such emotion inside of myself that we have discussed on this blog and there have been many that have made me feel such similar uncomfortable and angry emotions. I don't usually choose to reread these poems but it is interesting to try to define the certain triggers become so close to our hearts. We all come to read these poems with certain backgrounds and I think the goal is this blog is continue to gain perspective and insight into all forms of culture and writing whether we absolutely despise them or take comfort in them.

      Delete