28 Jan: "Love, You Got Me Good" by Ross Gay

Honeybunny, for you, I've got a mouthful
of soot. Sweetpea, for you, I always smell
like blood. Everything that touches me, Lovemuffin,
turns to salt. When I think of you
I see fire. When I dream of you
I hear footsteps on bones. When I see you
I can feel the scythe's smooth handle
in my palm. Love, you got me
standing at attention.
Clutching my heart. Polishing guns.
Love, I got a piggy bank
painted like a flag. I got a flag
in the shape of a piggy bank. For you,
Sugarfoot, I've been dancing
the waterboard. You're under
my skin, Love. Don't know
what I'd do without you,
Love.

2 comments:

  1. I am sure glad that your comment switched my mindset into America because I was thinking small town miner without a clue! I have been reading a lot lately paying attention to the "energetics" of writing and poetry and this one is really fun. The energy feels...."old"....and dirty, yet scandalous. Objectifying America as a lover...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I thought of American, but couldn't it be nationalism or patriotism too? These love affairs with ideals that turn people into us vs them. They can turn people to justify wars and or torture

      Delete