7 Jan: "Untitled" by Jason Shinder

Untitled by Jason Shinder

If there is no cure, I still want to correct a few things

and think mostly of people, and have them all alive.
I want a door opening in me that I can enter

and feel the clarity of evening and the stars beginning.

One after another, I want my mistakes returning
and to approach them on a beach like a man

for whom there is no division between on way or another.

My most faithful body, you are not in the best of shape,
far from the glitter of the river in which you once swam.

But I want good tears when I stand on the street

and, from the sky, drifts down the finest mist on my face.
Not everything is given and it should not permit sadness.

Let me
Let me keep on describing things to be sure they happened.

2 comments:

  1. Multiple interpretations. I love that because the reader can find their own meaning or multiple meanings.

    I read a gay guy dying from AIDS, like Dallas Buyers Club. Or maybe because I was just reading the last poem as a gay narrator that idea has stuck with me and sparked historical biases of gay men.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Redoing past wrongs, or reliving all kinds of experiences. This doesn't seem like it can be labeled as "presence"....as a lot of people who are dying want to experience. He wants to get all of the past roadblocks out of the way. To undo, and redo, rather than DO....such an interesting perspective. I have never thought about death this way. Maybe only under the terms of a message wanting to get to somebody, but even that is usually for the good of their life or for the future or just to tell them that they are loved.

    ReplyDelete