11 Jan: "Longing" by Jimmy Nameles


In response to “Loyal” by William Matthews.

“Longing”

Confusing love and longing, it is so true.
Do you love someone? Do they you?
Or do we love how they make us feel?

The people I love make me feel alive.
The people that love me make me feel alive.
I'm more lovable when I feel alive.

I'm high on love, highest on Renaissance death.
Everything we do together is the best.
We want it to last forever, but it can't.

Things change, life goes on.
Inconsolably, we do and don't cry long.

2 comments:

  1. I like it.

    The structure, pace, and rhythm doesn't flow well, but I like how the ideas contrast and fit with the reading. It all makes a web of confusion and emotions that control our love and therefore our longing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going back to the concept we spoke about on memory- and if somebody loves us, even after our death, we live on...in LOVE. Perhaps that is why, in the Bible, the greatest commandment is to love yourself and love your neighbor for it creates a sort of heaven on earth.

    Maybe it can last forever. Maybe we just don't know what "forever" is.

    ReplyDelete