3 Jan: "It Is Quiet in the Morning" by Joshua Jennifer Espinoza

It is quiet in the morning.
I am female-bodied.
Last night’s air is still
inside the trees.
A loud clap of thunder
from earlier this month
is stuck in the window.
I dress myself with
a large paper bag
and go outside in the wind.
Nothing happens.
I shudder
and break into pieces
but nothing happens.
You come out and find me
alone in the grass
covered in a purple rash.
You call me lacking
and kiss me with the words
that erase me from existence.
Everything I’ve done
comes from a place of dying.

2 comments:

  1. What are the words that erase her from existence? What does it mean to be called lacking? Kiss is usually a sign of affection but here it erases.

    Nothing happens. That is a great two word sentence and puts a lot of emphasis on the expectations and lack of reactions.

    The ending is in past tense after the entire poem was in the present.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allie Jo DreadfulwaterJanuary 19, 2017 at 6:29 PM

    Wanting to be seen; purposeful exposure with no return but dismissal (sp?).

    There is so much noise in this poem- such a beautiful way to describe emotions. They really are NOISY.

    ReplyDelete