24 Sep: "The Hollow Men" part 2

"The Hollow Men" by T. S. Eliot    

                       II


    Eyes I dare not meet in dreams

    In death's dream kingdom
    These do not appear:
    There, the eyes are
    Sunlight on a broken column
    There, is a tree swinging
    And voices are
    In the wind's singing
    More distant and more solemn
    Than a fading star.
    
    Let me be no nearer
    In death's dream kingdom
    Let me also wear
    Such deliberate disguises
    Rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves
    In a field
    Behaving as the wind behaves
    No nearer-
    
    Not that final meeting
    In the twilight kingdom


https://allpoetry.com/The-Hollow-Men

2 comments:

  1. Are the eyes, dead man's eyes? Wishing no option of death or having to kill someone and be haunted by the "Eyes I dare not see in dreams"?

    If a warrior, wishing to be further away than death versus closer. In war on the outside, but hoping for peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I messed up the title in every post.

    I had to look up what other people think. Eliot thought the modern culture was all screwed up. They are the hollow men with the eyes

    ReplyDelete