10 Jan: "DELORES JEPPS" by Tim Seibles

"DELORES JEPPS"

It seems insane now, but 
she’d be standing soaked
in schoolday morning light, 

her loose-leaf notebook, 
flickering at the bus stop, 
and we almost trembled

at the thought of her mouth 
filled for a moment with both
of our short names. I don’t know 

what we saw when we saw
her face, but at fifteen there’s
so much left to believe in,


that a girl with sunset
in her eyes, with a kind smile, 

and a bright blue miniskirt softly 
shading her bare thighs     really 
could be The Goddess. Even
the gloss on her lips sighed
Kiss me    and you’ll never

do homework again. Some Saturdays 
my ace, Terry, would say, “Guess 
who was buying Teaberry gum
in the drugstore on Stenton?”

And I could see the sweet 
epiphany still stunning his eyes

and I knew that he knew
that I knew he knew    I knew— 

especially once summer had come, 
and the sun stayed up till we had 
nothing else to do but wish
and wonder about
fine sistas

in imsy culottes and those hotpants! 
James Brown screamed about: Crystal 
Berry, Diane Ramsey, Kim Graves,
and
her. is was around 1970: Vietnam 
to the left of us, Black Muslims
to the right, big afros all over my

Philadelphia. We had no idea 
where we were, how much history 
had come before us—how much 
cruelty, how much more dying 
was on the way. For me and Terry, 
it was a time when everything said

maybe, and maybe being blinded 
by the beauty of a tenth grader 
was proof that, for a little while, 
we were safe from the teeth
that keep chewing up the world. 
I’d like to commend

my parents    for keeping calm,
for not quitting their jobs or grabbing 

guns and for never letting up
about the amazing “so many doors 

open to good students.” I wish


I had kissed
Delores Jepps. I wish I could 

have some small memory of her 
warm and spicy mouth to wrap 
these hungry words around. I

would like to have danced with her, 
to have slow-cooked to a slow song 
in her sleek, toffee arms: her body 
balanced between the Temptations’ 
five voices and me—a boy anointed

with puberty, a kid with a B 
average and a cool best friend.
I don’t think I’ve ever understood 

how lonely I am, but I was

closer to it at fteen because
I didn’t know anything: my heart 

so near the surface of my skin

I could have moved it with my hand.

1 comment:

  1. Great voice (building off yesterday's poem idea).

    "I don't think I've ever understood how lonely I am." Dang. I cannot help think that Delores is more of a novelty and excuse than anything else. I look back at high school and it was so meaningless. It all helped me become who I am today, but I was so naive and shallow and ignorant. Of all the things I dwell on, high school or anything from my teens doesn't make it. The narrator sounds at least somewhat successful, and grateful to his parents for valuing education. Why worry about that girl from high school?

    Breakthrough thought, the narrator says, "But I was closer to it at fifteen because I didn't know anything." Delores could have been a key to his understanding. Because he was more childlike and naive?

    I'd still prefer the red pill, awareness and unhappiness over ignorance and happiness. I wonder what pill (blue pill or red pill) Delores is for the narrator? Is she going to take him further down the rabbit hole or allow him to beleive whatever he wants?

    ReplyDelete