6 Oct: "Ode: The Capris"

Ode: The Capris

by Mark Halliday

How do I feel about "There's a Moon Out Tonight" 
by the Capris?
I thought you'd never ask

Marcia Koomen lived across Cherry Lane
getting tall, taller than me in fifth grade
and smiling behind her glasses, she knew something.
The summer nights in Raleigh were thick
with something bright in the dark; you could ride
bikes under the moon and in and out of
lampshine at the corner of Wade and Dogwood,
not caring about touching a girl, or, later,
not caring much still but happy to be a boy
who could some day "have" a girl, and be conscious of
a shivering beauty caught in the word girl

There's a girl at my side 
that I adore
-the Capris knew something all together
and it called for this new verb, to adore;
something out there ahead of my bicycle in the dark;
I cared a loy about Paladin on "Have Gun - Will Travel"
but did I adore him? Scotty Koomen, years older,
got sort of pae and brittle when he went to visit
a certain girl in his class, he seemed to have trouble
breathing...
There's a glow in my heart
I never felt before
- not exactly in my heart yet but it was
what would be there if I rode just maybe deeper down
Dogwood Lane in the busy dark.

Across Dogwood lived Ann Dailey
who had freckles and an awesome kind of largeness,
not fat but big and this made my eyes feel hot and burny;
she moved slowly doing chores in her yard,
her long tanning thighs seemed sarcastic
as if she knew soon her freckled beauty must positively
carry her somehow out, out and away...And
Shelby Wilson one night kissed her on the lips.
I saw it happen - on the sofa in the basement - 
her folks weren't home. Right on the lips!

Amazing lips are in your future, boy. That's
what the Capris were telling me; the North Carolinia moon
is natural and it can find you anywhere;
you have t let the moon paint you and your bike
and the picture of Elvis in your pocket
and it shines down on Marcia's hair
and on the thought of the green eyes of Ann Dailey.
Ride and wait, wait and watch;
you laugh, you shiver in the summer - cool - dark.
You speak of the Yankees and the Pirates but
cut a side glance at Marcia's tall shape
but when she says anything serious exasperate her
yelling Little Richard's wop bop alu bop

but this dodging, dodging will end -
somewhere - 
the Capris being on Marcia's side.
Baby, I never felt this way before
I guess it's because there's a moon out tonight

and once that shining starts
no amount of irony will ever quite ride the Capris out of town.
I picture a deep pool with yellow flowers drifting
on the surface. The song pours up
out of that pool.

Poem 008, Poetry  180 
(note: Poem 007 was a repeat from website)

5 comments:

  1. As I suspected, it's the moon not the girl. Those dirt bags.

    It doesn't seem like a fifth grader. It seems more like a teen, but less offensive. I don't know about the authenticity. I guess it works because it his the perspective of an adult looking back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The poem written in a one sided dialogue form, yet I don't really get who he is "talking" to. Reminiscing, yes as you mentioned...not thoughts of a fifth grader at all.
    Yet you can feel the emotions and parts of the thoughts are still innocent like, "on the lips!".
    I don't really enjoy the poems that reference older songs. I think this author has done a few like this that we have read.
    You are about 10-11 years old when in fifth grade, ya? I think I had my first kiss in sixth grade. You?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first kiss was 18. Which used to be very embarrassing for me. I was really shy with girls, only cared about sports, didn't drink, didn't do drugs, or go to parties. So no girls or kisses until after high school for me

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really, truly, 18? And shyness the reason...surprised me there.

    I was chuckling at your list...I suppose I would have to say the exact same about myself with one obvious different.... I, too, only cared about sports, no alcohol, no drugs, no parties, BUT I definitely cremated my shyness- for some odd reason there was never any doubt in my mind, even in 6th grade upon who I "liked" or wanted to get to know. It was blatant. It was strong. And, well, I suppose, there was no holding back. I guess I can trace this impulsiveness to all areas of my life. Where on earth does this come from?! And when, on earth, will it ever stop lol?!

    ReplyDelete