22 Oct: "I Am Offering This Poem" by Jimmy Santiago Baca

I am offering this poem to you,
since I have nothing else to give.
Keep it like a warm coat
when winter comes to cover you,
or like a pair of thick socks
the cold cannot bite through,

                         I love you,

I have nothing else to give you,
so it is a pot full of yellow corn
to warm your belly in winter,
it is a scarf for your head, to wear
over your hair, to tie up around your face,

                         I love you,

Keep it, treasure this as you would
if you were lost, needing direction,
in the wilderness life becomes when mature;
and in the corner of your drawer,
tucked away like a cabin or hogan
in dense trees, come knocking,
and I will answer, give you directions,
and let you warm yourself by this fire,
rest by this fire, and make you feel safe

                         I love you,

It’s all I have to give,
and all anyone needs to live,
and to go on living inside,
when the world outside
no longer cares if you live or die;
remember,

                         I love you.

4 comments:

  1. We are going to read this poem tomorrow in class. I'm trying to get my students to appreciate and enjoy not only reading but poetry toas well.

    The narrator's gift: love. And all we need to live, besides the energy and security of course. But back to the narrator, is love and the poem really all the narrator has to offer? Or is that all there is to offer because of the importance of love?

    What do I offer as a person? As a teacher? Or partner?

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I read this, I thought of it again as a song. What is a "poetry toas"? I tried to look up, but it kept giving me trouble or Taos.

    I really liked your questions on offering. And I like that he titled the poem "I Am Offering this Poem". Poetry can be read and received in so many different ways other than the literal love. Just the act of someone writing a poem to you brings about a sense of love and appreciation...importance. Is this the same prison guy?

    Maybe what we offer and what is received are two entirely parallel objectives, or rather subjectives. We try to give one thing and may not be received in that way because the other person wants us to give something else, or maybe needs to receive something else. I tend to find this the hardest in love relationships...we give all that we can but sometimes what the other person needs is so entirely "gray"...love is red.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Baca also wrote the poem "Body" about prison.

      We offer what we want. The narrator wants love, "all anyone needs." It is sweet, but also sad. I can't help but see a speaker who wasn't loved. Cold, hungry, and lacking direction.

      WHat is a life without love?

      Delete