26 Nov: "Caelica - Sonnet 2" by Fulke, 1st Baron Brooke Greville

Death used to be a sexual euphemisms for orgasms in the Renaissance era.

Faire Dog, which so my heart dost teare asunder,
That my liues-blood, my bowels ouerfloweth,
Alas, what wicked rage conceal'st thou vnder
These sweet enticing ioyes, thy forehead showeth?
Me, whom the light-wing'd God of long hath chased,
Thou hast attain'd, thou gau'st that fatall wound,
Which my soules peacefull innocence hath rased,
And reason to her seruant humour bound.

Kill therefore in the end, and end my anguish,
Give me my death, me thinks euen time vpbraideth
A fulnesse of the woes, wherein I languish:
Or if thou wilt I liue, then pittie pleadeth
Helpe out of thee, since Nature hath reuealed,
That with thy tongue thy bytings may be healed.

2 comments:

  1. I fare my interest was low here (old English?) thus finding a more suitable explanation here:
    http://www.luminarium.org/renlit/caelica2explication.htm
    It was quite insightful to read this poetry review from someone who seems quite professional and engaged in the craft. The history and terminologies and interpretation was great. I loved the "faire dog" fair God part a lot. Play on words....maybe I will start looking more for this in poems to come.
    And my, oh my, this mistress is more trouble than I thought....

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a lot to pick up on for people today. Pretty much needs to be translated. I agree though. Too much work and not enough interests to keep me entertained.

    Surprisingly dirty after you understand it.

    ReplyDelete