31 May: "Tribute to Spaceship Cadillac" by Jimmy Nameles

This poem is a tribute to a song written by Jake Drew. The melody if it still exists, is his as are many of the phrases. 

I don't want to see me “make it."
They say, “Congratulations!” But my future feels naked
When the wind blows, after the sun sets,
The comfort from a top firm doesn't warm the shivering from what comes next.

I show the driver my pass,
Sitting in back, on a paved path to another meaningless class.
Forget success!
If I was courageous, I'd digress,
Drop out of everything, university, society, and welcome sobriety...
Write poetry.

I pull the stop;
And I'm in deep thought.
I see a road not taken in my blind spot.

I'd rather die than fill a cubicle.
Nature's too beautiful. My life should be a musical because
It's so euphoric to wander the trails of an unknown land.

Freedom denigrates my consciousness; my world reeks of non-senses.
My passion? Doesn't include a mansion, or fashion.

I'd rather pull a cart, and hope it pulls what I need.
I'd rather be me.

Life's mine to manage.
The day I never made it, is when I'll make it.
I'm gone.

1 comment:

  1. The college kid trying to figure out the meaning of life. I hope he/she never makes it and is happy. If I could start adulthood over, I wonder how many meaningless classes I could sit through?

    ReplyDelete