27 May: "I DIED for beauty, but was scarce" by Emily Dickinson

I DIED for beauty, but was scarce
Adjusted in the tomb,
When one who died for truth was lain
In an adjoining room.
  
He questioned softly why I failed?        
“For beauty,” I replied.
“And I for truth,—the two are one;
We brethren are,” he said.
  
And so, as kinsmen met a night,
We talked between the rooms,        
Until the moss had reached our lips,
And covered up our names.

1 comment:

  1. I search out these parallels in the way we live our lives. The more I study, the more pathways I find. The more people I meet- the more beauty and destruction I find. I love that she uses the past tense of verbs to describe the present tense of her life. Always viewing the end to symbolize the present, Dickinson becomes a master at reworking her visions into the philosophy of every day life.

    ReplyDelete