22 Mar: "Flirtation" by Rita Dove

Flirtation

Related Poem Content Details

After all, there’s no need 
to say anything 

at first. An orange, peeled 
and quartered, flares 

like a tulip on a wedgewood plate 
Anything can happen. 

Outside the sun 
has rolled up her rugs 

and night strewn salt 
across the sky. My heart 

is humming a tune 
I haven’t heard in years! 

Quiet’s cool flesh— 
let’s sniff and eat it. 

There are ways 
to make of the moment 

a topiary 
so the pleasure’s in 

walking through.

2 comments:

  1. "Fliration" of life with our interactions...it always giving us looks and flitters and gazes...as if to say, "Come be with me, know me, understand me....for it is I that first connected with you....so, you learn to reconnect and come back to me!".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sniff and eat quiet's cool flesh?

    Flirting is a lot of fun, especially after going without. The narrator has wisdom to want to appreciate it and shape it into something that will be... Beautiful? No. Tasty? Salty? Sweet? Kind of, but a better metaphor would help me. There is a disconnect between the dullness of the food and plant examples

    ReplyDelete